Xylocaine Jelly 2%
Xylocaine Jelly 2%, or Lignocaine Hydrochloride, is a topical anaesthetic used to prevent pain and discomfort during medical tests and procedures. Xylocaine Jelly 2% works by making the nerves unable to pass messages to the brain. The jelly stabilises the neuronal membrane and prevents the initiation and conduction of nerve impulses, thereby effecting local anaesthetic action.
Xylocaine Jelly is given before a procedure to prevent discomfort, or applied to the end of medical instruments for lubrication. It is mainly used for urological and endoscopic procedures and lubrication of endotracheal tubes and endoscopes.
Xylocaine Jelly is a clear gel and is supplied for single use as a 30g tube. The maximum dose of jelly is 30mL (600mg) in a 12 hour period. Xylocaine is not addictive.
Xylocaine Jelly 2% Ingredients
Each gram of Xylocaine Jelly contains lignocaine hydrochloride 20 milligram as the active ingredient plus:
- Methyl hydroxybenzoate (E218)
- Propyl hydroxybenzoate (E216)
- Sodium hydroxide
- Purified Water
- Hydrochloric acid for pH adjustment.
Xylocaine Jelly Indications
- Of the male and female urethra during cystoscopy, catheterisation, exploration by sound and other endourethral operations
- Of nasal and pharyngeal cavities in endoscopic procedures such as gastroscopy and bronchoscopy
- During proctoscopy and rectoscopy
- During intubation
- For the relief of pain after circumcision in children
Xylocaine Jelly 2% Storage
- Keep your Xylocaine Jelly in the pack until it is time to use it. If you take Xylocaine Jelly out of the pack it will not keep well.
- Keep it in a cool dry place where the temperature stays below 25°C.
- Heat and dampness can destroy some medicines. Do not store it near the bathroom or near a sink.
Xylocaine Jelly 2% Resources
Pack Size: VP-302295 (Each)